Thursday, December 15, 2011

A Very DIY Christmas: Day 3

Yes, yes, I know. I skipped Day 2. Sorry. I babysat yesterday. And went out to dinner. And bought supplies for today's DIY project.

Today's DIY project originally comes from Eddie Ross (via pintrest)

I successfully made a homemade wreath. And it only took about 2 hours and about $9.
Here are the supplies:

  • 8 tubes of dollar store ornaments (I only used 7 tubes worth)
  • 1 wire hanger
  • 1 roll of wired ribbon (I couldn't decide between the two, I also suggest a opaque pattern)
  • 1 glue gun (I used about 1-1/2 sticks)
*Note* In the future I would probably suck it up and get regular ornaments/ shatter proof ones, I got what I paid for at the dollar store.

Step 1: Make the hanger round

Step 2: carefully open the hanger up (it's easier than you would think)

Step 3: Gather ornaments and hot glue tops to ornament
I put them in a bag so the glitter didn't get everywhere, right away...
A little dab will do.









Step 4: slide ornaments onto hanger
Step 5: Voila!

It took about 80 ornaments. I used the hanger hook as the door hook. Unfortunately, my wreath could not stay on my door :-( There wasn't enough room between the door and the glass "screen" door.
I hung it outside, but we'll see if it lasts. The hooks on the ornaments are pretty cheap and break easily. I might have to bring it back inside.

It was a really easy project and I'm really happy how it turned out. Perhaps over the summer I shall seek out garage sale ornaments to make a fancier one.

Now, off to the store so I can start the baking frenzy! (and more babysitting tonight, but I think I'll bring some gingerbread for them to decorate!)

Happy DIYing!

No comments: